At a loss of what to do with your Jack-o-lantern pumpkin guts? Read on for simple vegetarian pumpkin recipes including soup, drink, toasted seeds & more.
Pumpkin carving is a fun Halloween tradition and often the leftover entrails are put aside without much thought. Pumpkin can be very easy to cook and contains many nutrients. Here are some easy recipes that are suitable for vegetarians:
Roast Pumpkin Recipe
Roasting vegetables is easy and pumpkin is a good choice as it absorbs flavors well, particularly sage, cinnamon and nutmeg. Try using a mixture of fresh and dried herbs for a stronger taste. Season with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt if you prefer a simple roast.
Pumpkin flesh (of one or two pumpkins)
2 tbsps of olive oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp crushed cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1. Remove the seeds by hand and put the pumpkin flesh into a bowl with two tablespoons of olive oil.
2. Add the spices and mix well.
3. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
4. Spread the flesh in a thin layer on a baking tray.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, turning them over halfway through baking.
Recipe for Hot Pumpkin Beverage
This is a drink perfect for when the weather is chilly and can even be served at Halloween parties or Thanksgiving dinners.
3 cups of pumpkin puree
3 1/2 cups apple juice
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp dried ginger
5 whole cloves
1. Mix together all ingredients in a pan.
2. Simmer on a medium heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Heat for about fifteen minutes or until the pumpkin becomes a liquid.
4. Remove the cloves and serve immediately.
Best Pumpkin Soup Recipe
A hearty soup is ideal to keep the chills at bay. This soup is versatile and other vegetables can be added or different spices used as per your personal taste. The asafoetida makes this soup very warming and works well with the other herbs.
2 cups pumpkin puree
3 potatoes (peeled and chopped)
1 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Handful of fresh parsley (optional)
1. Cover vegetables with water in a pan.
2. Add the dry ingredients and cook on medium heat until vegetables are soft.
3. Take off the stove and puree the soup.
4. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
Easy Toasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
Don’t throw away the seeds from your pumpkin. Toasted pumpkin seeds are delicious and have a nutty flavor that can be enhanced with spices. An unusual selection of spices such as paprika, cumin and turmeric make the humble pumpkin seed appear exotic!
1. Rinse the pumpkin seeds under cold water removing the strings and flesh.
2. Place the seeds in a bowl with a tablespoon of oil and half a teaspoon of your chosen spices.
3. Mix well.
4. Place the seeds on an baking sheet.
5. Bake at 300 degrees F for about 30 minutes, turning the seeds over halfway through
6. Let the seeds cool and store in an air-tight container.
The above vegetarian pumpkin recipes are so simple that even kids can help with some of the cooking preparation. Try experimenting with different spices for a unique and tasty flavor.