Recipes for Bacon and Egg Pie, Sausage Rolls, Stuffed Eggs and Mousetraps – perfect for sunny days, picnic food or trips to a sporting event.
It seems that every Kiwi Mum has a number of reliable recipes to dig out for Picnic days. These are old favourites that are ideal for picnics, parties or a casual lunch. They take about one hour to make, from beginning to end, and are really easy. Favourites include:
Bacon and Egg Pie
2 or 3 sheets of pre-rolled puff pastry
1 onion (finely chopped)
1 generous cup of chopped shoulder bacon
3 or 4 good quality tomatoes
Some chopped fresh herbs such as, parsley, spring onions, or basil.
Qty of full cream milk
Salt and pepper
Optional extras include:frozen peas, or corn kernels.
1. Lightly grease a baking tray.
2. Roll out the pastry , up and over the sides.
3. Sprinkle the base with onions, chopped bacon, and frozen vegetables
4. Break eggs over the the base.
5. Even so lightly prick the egg yokes, so they spread a little.
6. Top with herbs, slat and pepper
7. Cover with a second sheet of Pastry
8. Prick the top of the pastry, to allow air to escape
9. Lightly brush milk over the surface
Bake at 200 degrees Celsius, for around 40 minutes, until golden brown. Tastes equally good served hot or cold, with a side salad of leafy greens.
The second recipe, is for Sausage Rolls. It’s just as quick, and just as enjoyable.
1 sheet of puff pastry
500g good quality minced beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1 egg yolk with a little milk added
2 globs of tomato sauce
Another glob of worcestshire sauce
Salt and Pepper
1. Combine all of the above (except the pastry)in a bowl and mix well, place into a piping bag
2. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured board
3. Cut pastry into 3 equal strips lengthways
4. Pipe mix into the middle of each strip of pasty
5. Fold strips to form 3 rolls, completely covering the meat mixture
6. Brush pastry with egg yolk, and milk
7. Cut into bite size chunks, to suit.
8. Place on a baking tray and bake at 200 degrees C for 20 minutes until golden
9. Serve hot, with ketchup
Yum! But if that’s not enough, there’ always…. Stuffed Eggs
12 hard-boiled eggs
2 tablespoons of Indian curry powder
Fresh chopped chives
Salt and Pepper
Finest quality black olives, pitted and sliced in half
1. Shell the eggs, cut length ways, and remove the yokes. Be careful not to damage the eggwhites.
2. Mix yolks with mayonnaise, curry powder, salt, and pepper
3. Place mix carefully back into the egg white cavity
4. Garnish with a olive half, and chopped chives
Golly that was quick. Or try a simple recipe for grilled cheese “Mousetraps”, which are a favourite snack for many Kiwi families.
Really good quality, grainy wholewheat bread
Your favorite grated cheddar cheese
1 Onion finely chopped
Chutney, or Relish, such as a trusted tomato chili relish
Fresh herbs to garnish
1. Lightly toast one side of the bread under the grill
2. Mix the cheese and onion together
3. Spread chutney or relish over non toasted side of the bread
4. Top with cheese and onion mix
5. Grill until bubbling
6. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve
Voila! Four quick and easy recipes! Enjoy.