This fried chicken recipe is very popular in China, requires very little work, and doesn’t involve much mess. For a healthier recipe you can bake the chicken, which makes it a tasty dinner for the health conscious. Whether served as baked chicken or a fried chicken, this dinner idea is a sure crowd pleaser, and even the most inexperienced cook can make this.
1 Lb Chicken drumsticks, wings, thighs, or boneless breast, ensure that they’re small to make cooking easier.
1 Tsp Salt, you can add more or remove this entirely depending on taste.
1 Tsp Dry chicken stock
3 Medium size egg whites.
¼- ½ Corn starch, flour will do in a pinch but starch is better.
½ Cup Cooking oil if frying.
1. If you are using boneless chicken breasts, cut them into strips about the length of your thumb.
2. Place the chicken into a large bowl, add the salt and dry chicken stock.
3. Crack the eggs and remove the egg yolk, pour the egg whites over the chicken. If the chicken pieces are large use four or more eggs.
4. Pour the starch over the chicken. If the chicken pieces are fairly large use half a cup.
5. Mix all the ingredients together. Using your hands works best, but a fork can work as well. Make sure all of the chicken is well coated in the starch and egg white.
Fried Chicken Instructions
1. Let the chicken sit in the mixture for 10 to 15 minutes while you heat the oil.
2. Pour ½ cup of cooking oil into a high sided pan or wok, turn stove onto high heat.
3. When hot turn stove to med heat.
4. Using tongs place the 3 or 4 pieces of the largest chicken pieces in the oil.
5. Stir the chicken gently to keep them from sticking, turn them frequently to ensure all sides cook properly.
6. When the chicken is a dark golden brown remove them from the oil. This should take at least 8 minutes for chicken the size of your thumb. If the chicken is larger leave it in for 10 minutes.
7. After the first chicken pieces are cooked, cut them with a knife and check that the inside is properly cooked. It should be white all the way through. If it is not place it back in the oil for another minute or two.
8. Cook the rest of the chicken pieces in batches of 3 or 4 for the same length of time. Place onto a paper towel or rack to help drain oil, eat hot.
Baked Chicken Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 245 Celsius or 475 Fahrenheit.
2. After letting the chicken sit in the mixture for 10 minutes place them on a cooking rack. Make sure the chicken pieces aren’t touching each other.
3. Place in oven for 20 minutes for small pieces, 30 for larger ones. Flip them over after 15 minutes.
4. Remove from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve.
This fried chicken recipe serves 4 and is a wonderful main course at dinner, or can be served for a get together with friends. Whether its fried or baked chicken the clean up is simple since you only use a single bowl, pan or rack, and tongs. As a dinner idea most people will enjoy the simplicity and speed of this fried chicken recipe.